Skip to main content

Turning Wicked



"Sixteen years on the streets and you can learn a lot. But all the wrong things, not the things you want to learn. Sixteen years on the streets and you see a lot. But all the wrong sights, not the things you want to see." — S.E. Hinton (The Outsiders)

If you are 16, you know it! You have successfully lived enough to tag ‘things’ as and how you wish.

Often (rather very often) we blurt  – “Dude, I am glad to have you in my life. You’re the best thing that could happen to me. You’re the gem of a person, and you complete me. I fucking LOVE YOU soooo much! 

But who in the world has given us the right to label someone as “WICKED”? [No…. God damn it, don’t say that ‘Freedom of speech and expression’ is our fundamental right! And even if this is to be considered then this very “right” has been enlisted in our democratic bible with a disclaimer stating that it is to the extent so long your speech or expression is bonafide and does not hurt others' feelings.] Don’t we stand on such shallow moral grounds that without giving much thought we call somebody as a sinister. Would anyone aim to be one? None! There won’t be any who turned out evil just because he/she wanted to be. Did we even try and analyze what made them what they are? I’d say that they tried (read : struggled) to walk through love, they bore the pains, they burnt through the emotion, they waited and waited and waited, they held to it, but, THEY FAILED!

I have some situations:

SITUATION I : Is SHE wrong if SHE only expects HIM to remember HER birthday and wish HER when every single thing that ever matters to HER has to do with HIM and each day with HIM is special for her,moments of which remain on HER fingertips?

SITUATION II : Is HE wrong to make HER HIS motivation, HIS motto and HIS sole reason to live? What sin has HE committed if HER tears floods HIS eyes and if HER one smile brightens up HIS world?

SITUATION III : Is HE wrong if HE has hardly seen HER, only talked to HER and heard HER speak and desires for HER all the happiness in HIS destiny even when SHE'S such ignorant, indifferent and oblivious towards HIM? What mistake has HE made to have wished HER to be happy when on HIS back SHE claims “Man, he’s such a termite!”

SITUATION IV : Is HE insensitive because HE fails to go see HIS dying father in a hospital and provide a shoulder to HIS wailing mother because HE had left to wipe a tear rolling down HER cheek because that’s how the mute feels that HE might  be able to emote HIS feelings, speaking volumes while being profoundly silent! How is HE wrong to take in smoke, give into weeds, play with cards and indulge in liquor when HE kept waiting for her to come and SHE turned a blind eye towards him?

SITUATION V : Or Is SHE wrong if every guy in the town longed to feel HER skin next to HIS and SHE allowed only HIM to kiss HER lips and HE in turn refused to give HER a commitment on the context that there is no point getting into a relationship  when you know you can’t marry! Is SHE then wrong to be feeling like being ‘used’ ? And then we would call her a nympho because SHE allowed another man to touch HER only because SHE made an attempt to forget “HIM” and couldn’t!

And WE (I and you all)  declare them as “WICKED” and publish their crookedness by our vocal cords in every desperate ear belonging to a gossip-monger wanting some news slipped by his lips to spread like fire in the woods so that he could be so-called ‘popular’!

Again I wait for that lull in the excitement, but it may not be as obvious this time. I know that I do believe in déjà vu, in destiny and in serendipity but I’m still befuddled about my opinion on “LOVE”! All I know because of what my ears have heard is that “Love kills slowly” and anyone who emerges as a failure out of it turns “WICKED”!

Margaret Mitchell in Gone with the wind has opined ,"Vanity was stronger than love at sixteen and there was no room in her hot heart, now for anything but hate" and I do nothing but second her.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What took the court outside the court?

In a move that shook the ethos and established traditions of one of the crucial three pillars of the democratic apparatus, the Indian Judiciary, four most senior judges of the Supreme Court took to the public to address grievances that faced the institution. Supreme Court senior-most judges addressing the media on Friday, January 13, 2017 (Photo: Reuters) After the letter that honourable Justice J Chelameshwar, Justice Rajan Gogoi, Justice Madan B Lokur and Justice Kurian Joseph collectively wrote to Chief Justice of India Dipak Mishra went addressed, the top judges relied on the fourth pillar to bring forth issues that in the words of the judges themselves “adversely affected the overall functioning of the justice delivery system”. ALLOTMENT OF CASES The judges said that the CJI is only first among equal, nothing more or nothing less. They expressed concern over CJI’s way of assigning cases to the benches and deciding the composition of the same. Without going specific,

The Longest Day of My Life

November 30, 2015. Monday. 8:30, I woke up that morning to see everyone in my grandparents' room. Papa had called a doctor home to check Dada. Dadi had complained that He hadn't been eating properly since the last few days. I thought it was routined and I didn't stop to ask Dada if He was fine, I was in a rush to get to work, perhaps I lack expression. 11:11, I always happen to chance upon 11:11 and make a wish. The last weekend was too eventful and fun-filled and I didn't have a lot of work to catch up on Monday.That day I wished that I would wrap up work in time and spend the second half of the day with Dada, sit with Him and take Him to the park to take a stroll, he didn't like being enclosed. Old age had taken a toll on Him, for the last one year He had grown weaker. In that time He had also become fussy, He wasn't the same as He was 2 years ago. He kept Dadi busy all day long. I often used to worry about Him. Thoughts of Him gone would strike agai

Are you in solitude or are you lonely?

There is something strangely peculiar about solitude . Interestingly, in physical world, solitude and loneliness share the same space. Think how a sort of emotion - happiness or, its opposite extreme, sadness render different perceptions to this physical space where one unites with the self. This state of deprivation has many facets and thus nuances. I write this article in solitude and find it strange that when I upload it on my blog and make it accessible to strangers, I stand a risk of getting it plagiarised. I could have instead published it in a magazine or journal and have earned a byline. Or I might have instead saved it in my diary and 5 years from now when I 'd have had more interesting experiences to write about, I could compile them all and write a book - a greater probability of earning novelty. But as of now I have no such plans, no great story. So I'd just upload it in the online world of anonymity, make my blog appear more active, share on FB and rest myself i